I just discovered that my geoServer Tomcat 'work' directory seems to be
overly large (6GB in one case).  This is a fairly standard setup, with
one difference - my layers (stored in PostGreSQL) are all very dynamic
(data changes each minute) - which might or might not impact this.  I
primarily see this on my production servers, which have very high
utilization, so it is likely tied to this.

The environment is
Win 2012 R2
Tomcat 8.0.2x (21, 23, ...)
Geoserver 2.8 WAR deploy
Java 7

The work directory has grown to contain several gigabytes of files under
the \work\Catalina\localhost\geoserver\wicket-filestore tree. This
growth only seems to occur on the instance hosting geoServer (I have
several others).  The actual files created are all called 'pm-null'.  So
far, the closest info I have found that explains this is at
http://forums.terracotta.org/forums/posts/list/4134.page

Is there a similar issue with geoServer and 'lost sessions' leaving
these files behind?  Has anyone else seen this, and perhaps come up with
a solution (other than a periodic stop, purge, restart)?  This is
leaving behind thousands of these files (at about 15kB each), plus even
more directories.

And FWIW - I suspect this is also leading to slower restarts of
tomcat/geoserver - it seems to go back to normal after I clean these out.