We've recently switched to using the external GWC. The problem is that we
have lots of layers that were created using whilst we were using the
internal GWC and they are all still caching tiles even though they aren't
being used.

Is there anyway to stop GWC working for all layers even if they had caching
enabled when they were created?

We're using GeoServer 2.7.2.