Good news on this.   Further experimentation revealed that it is possible
to get reasonably good agreement between scales in OpenLayers and GeoServer
using the following approach:

- use OpenLayers NON-geodesic (nominal) scale calculation
- set OpenLayers DOTS_PER_INCH to match the GeoServer value of 90

This produced OL scales that were in good agreement with the GeoServer
values (close enough for government work, anyway  8^).  For example, at a
map nominal scale of 541,679 GeoServer computed the scale of 545,979

This was greatly assisted by Andrea's suggestion of using WMS Decorations,
in conjunction with some enhancements to my WMS Viewer (
http://dr-jts.github.io/maptest/maptest.html ).

For those interested, the following was used to display the GeoServer scale
on each map image:

GetMap parameter

format_options=layout:scaleratio

WMS Decoration Layout file scaleratio.xml:

layout>
    <decoration type="scaleratio" affinity="bottom,left" offset="36,6"/>
</layout>