Setting explicit output format of "GML3" then the WFS response is properly
encoded. That's what I meant when I wrote that by switching to this output
format the response is the same as requesting the WFS in version 1.1.0.

I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing a mapping specific option.
So, thank you for your explanation why this doesn't work.