Those sound like small tiffs so you would be better combining them together
to avoid opening too many files at a time. Have a look at gdalbuildvrt to
make a virtual raster catalogue that you can then convert into a tiled
compressed geotiff that is in your main output projection.

Have a read through the annual "GeoServer on Steroids" presentation  (
http://www.slideshare.net/geosolutions/geoserver-on-steroids-foss4g-2015 )
for more ideas.#

Ian

Ian Turton