On Thu, Apr 7, 2016, at 12:10 PM, Jason Newmoyer wrote:
> 1. Updating rest.properties under data_dir/security to this:
>
> /**;GET=IS_AUTHENTICATED_ANONYMOUSLY
> /**;POST,DELETE,PUT=IS_AUTHENTICATED_ANONYMOUSLY
>
> This seems to have no effect. Maybe its only tied to the
> geoserver/rest endpoint?

Yes, the GWC and GS REST APIs are completely separate so changing the
security on one has no effect on the other.

> 2. Disabling security on the gwc filter chain using the admin web
>    interface. Also, have tried adding the anonymous filter and
>    removing the basic filter in this filter chain's settings.
>
> Oddly enough, it seems to switch itself back to default settings after
> the configuration reloads (either manual reload on server status page
> or server restart)
>
> I am testing this by using curl as described here:
> http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/geowebcache/rest/seed.html

That's really odd.  Before you reload the change is in effect and
gives you the behaviour you want though?  I did a quick test on 2.9
and disabling the security on the chain and adding the anonymous
filter allowed for unauthenticated access and it presists over restart
and reload.

You might try checking if DATA_DIR/security/config.xml is getting
updated when you save the change.

--
Kevin Michael Smith
smit...@draconic.ca