On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Jonathan Moules <
jonathan-li...@lightpear.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>   I'll defer to your judgement on implementation details of course, but I
> think the heavy-load is resolvable by simply having the value really high.
> I was thinking considerably higher than whatever the GeoServer (rendering
> time - which I know is only for a portion of the full-query-handling-time),
> load-balancer, proxy-server, or whatever else have their timeouts set to.
> So if they all have timeouts set to 60s, a minimum token-timeout of say
> 120s would probably be my suggestion (or maybe even higher??).

Eeeh, there are a few catches there ... pure raster requests are not under
the control of the timeout at all, and some vector rendering operations are
not controlled either because the check
is done only between rendering a feature and the next (so if one feature
takes a lot or forever to render, you're toaast). In java there is no such
a thing as stopping a thread, it has to allow you to stop it,
which you do by adding checkpoints in the code, or poisoning inputs and
outputs of such thread.
The rendering timeout remains a very good idea, and it's best to have it
setup in most cases, but the implementation stopped where it was relatively
easy to add....
On a separate note, some types of requests just take minutes to execute,
e.g. large printouts, some WPS requests (you cannot force clients to use
asynch, and asynch is out of the control-flow reach anyways).
Long story short, a reasonable timeout to return the tokens would be,
outside of the simple cases, tens of minutes.

Do you know how much time it takes to lockup control-flow in the scenario
described by Maciej? Less than a second (the time for someone to do two
zoom-ins in the GWC preview).
It's not randomly losing tokens out of bad luck, it's consistent and
fast... even a timeout of a minute, what good does it actually make? Once a
minute you allow another
batch of 16 ore 32 getmap requests to go, not much useful imho :-p

On the other side, as said, a correct implementation of that concept is not
entirely trivial... funding and/or pull requests welcomed ;-)

@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.