On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>
wrote:

> On 01/06/16 00:26, Daniele Romagnoli wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 4:25 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In a nutshell: should elevation variables that are *internal* to each
>>> granule be indexed? Is this supported? If so, is indexer configuration
>>> required? Why would the granule index need to know?
>>>
>> I would say yes. In the past we have worked with NetCDF containing sigma
>> levels, exposing them as sigma dimension, similarly to what you did.
>> If my memory serves me right, when having issues with custom dimensions
>> the
>> problem was related to the axisType not being declared but I should double
>> check.
>> Would this help?
>>

> Yes, please.
>
> - When using a custom dimension like sigma, should it be specified in the
> indexer.xml?

Yes. each domain/dimension involved in your mosaic should be declared.

> - If an indexer dimension for sigma is required, what form should it take?

You should declare it in the <domains> section.
As an instance
<domains>
   <domain name="sigma">  <!-- See Note1 -->
-->
   </domain>

Note1: you can put any name you want here. It will represent the dimension
exposed in GeoServer.
Note2: the attribute here should match the real dimension name on the
underlying NetCDF dataset.

> - Does sigma need an entry in the granule schema in indexer.xml?

Yes.
Your <coverage> should refer that sigma domain as well as include a column
in the schema
<coverage>
   <name>u-component_of_wind_sigma</name>
   <domains>
      ....  time?
      <domain ref="sigma" />
   </domains>
    <schema name="u-component_of_wind_sigma" >
        <attributes>.........., sigma: java.lang.Float</attributes> <!--
See Note 3 -->
    </schema>

Note 3: the attribute in the schema should match the attribute of the
previously declared domain.

Note that imageMosaic has its own indexer. NetCDFs are multidimensional
datasets so they also have a similar indexer to catalog NetCDF sections
into a (by default) H2 hidden DB. That inner indexer is generated on the
fly OR you can define it once (in case all NetCDF has same structure) and
declare it in the imageMosaic indexer.xml
http://geoserver.geo-solutions.it/multidim/en/netcdf/netcdf_indexer.html#netcdf-indexer-file

How your NetCDF indexer file looks like?
Some months ago I have developed an experimental tool
<http://geoserver.geo-solutions.it/downloads/releases/2.8.x-netcdf/CreateIndexer.jar>
which may help in setting up the indexers:

*java -jar CreateIndexer.jar /path/to/a/sample.nc <http://sample.nc> -p
/path/to/GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR/**user_projections/*
*netcdf.projections.properties*

Notes
<http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/extensions/netcdf/netcdf.html#supporting-custom-netcdf-coordinate-reference-systems>
on netcdf.projections.properties.

It will create both the ImageMosaic indexer.xml and the NetCDF indexer for
a sample.nc file of a collection of NetCDF files with same structure. You
can take a look on the produced results and customize them if needed.
As I said, that tool is still experimental and it can be surely improved or
may throws errors on some untested datasets.

> - How did you overcome sigma not having a recognised axisType?

If my memory serves me right the data producer fixed their coordinate
variables but I'm not pretty sure about this since it was the past year.
Let's see if the previous suggestions allows you to get them work.
Otherwise, you may consider sharing a sample or do some debug on the low
level readers to check if that's the case.

Cheers,
Daniele

> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>
> Director
> Transient Software Limited <http://transient.nz/>
> New Zealand

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.