I have an application for geoserver that will include accessing hundreds of
different workspaces that are each based on an OracleNG schema.  One problem I
have is that it takes forever for geoserver to start with a large number of
workspaces because of the database activity initializing each workspace.  I'm
hoping some kind of lazy initialization might be possible.  But the other
problem I have is that with hundreds of workspaces and thousands of users I
need to plan for scalability.  That might include deploying multiple geoserver
instances in a load balanced environment.

With each geoserver keeping workspaces in the file system, only one specific
geoserver instance can access a given workspace instance.  How is this usually
setup?  Do I need to dedicate each instance to specific workspaces and turn off
global workspaces so Apache can examine the incoming URL and map it to the
right instance?

My application includes a service that creates new workspaces and layers.  If I
can't use global workspaces and need to map to a specific geoserver instance
then the code that sets up workspaces will also need to get involved in somehow
telling apache to map the URL also.  Gets messy and I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks for any comments.

Walter Stovall
Byers Engineering Company