Hello,

I'm developing an web application based on OpenLayers 3 and Geoserver
2.9.0. In this application, the user can search in a database containing
about 8000 entries of species with their locations. The search result is
then displayed in a map with the locations of the found species.

To this end, I first do a database query based on the search parameters
(using PHP), which returns a list of species ids. I then forward this
list to Geoserver with a WFS request using CQL_FILTER such as

   CQL_FILTER=SpeciesID IN (16,17,18,40,41,...)

Geoserver then returns a map with only these species in the search
result, which is fine. However, I run into performance problems when the
list of ids becomes too large. For 8000 ids, it takes Geoserver about 2
minutes to draw the map which is way too long. The database query may
return anything between 0 and 8000 results.

Is there another way to solve this problem more efficiently or some way
I can optimize Geoserver for this? I would be glad for any help.

Sincerely,

Eva