Dear all,

we  have troubles in cascading a WMS layer for the OSM of Italy, it is served
as basemap to another server’s layer that is used for generating dynamic PDFs.

The architecture is made on two servers (both on Geoserver 2.6.2):
- SERVER-A, is the map server to publish our replica of the Italian OSM. It
works on top of a PostGIS that is synced periodically with OSM planet and it
uses styles for points, polygons and lines.
- SERVER-B, is the map server we provided our client; it uses the WMS rendered
by SERVER-A as base layer for another WMS services used for PDF generation.
Server A and B are in the same network on Digital Ocean. Moving the access to
the data and the rendering to the SERVER-B is not an option for now.

We have two kinds of problems, we do not know whether they are related or not:
- SERVER-B Tomcat crashes periodically, so far we were not able to find any
message in the catalpa.out log. We are not sure it is the right place to check
as we are not experts of Tomcat.
- SERVER-A becomes very slow; when this happens the direct calls to WMS done
through the SERVER-B and SERVER-A are still working, but the Geoserver admin
panel cannot use or preview the SERVER-A basemap, the exception says that the
underlying service does not exists.

We wonder whether there is some specific documentation, or somebody can give
hints about tracking the errors.

More, we are sure the servers are under-dimensioned. Is there any specific
reference to dimensioning and performance optimization on geoserver? Anybody
with a similar experience? In your experience should the server chaining the
WMS and overlaying few points to it be dimensioned similar to the server doing
the OSM rendering?

Thanks for any help.

Simone

Smart technologies for bright ideas