Hello all, it's been a good while since I've come here

I have a (hopefully) straightforward problem at hand: I want to efficiently
display a vector layer in Google Maps that may have a very large number of
polygons. To do that, I need to load the polygons gradually on demand as
the user navigates. Having some sort of multiresolution for the layer would
be a plus, but I can also simply not show the layer if the zoom level is
too small.

My first guess to solve this problem was to have GeoServer generate a KML
super-overlay and feed that into Google Maps.

However, I was testing around with GeoServer generated KMLs and I couldn't
get even a basic KML (e.g.,
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/topp/wms/kml?layers=topp:states, which has
a NetworkLink element in it) to show up on Google Maps.
If I download a self-contained KML with all the data it does show up on
Google Maps, but obviously that's not reasonable for layers with a lot of
data.
Another interesting thing I noticed is that other KML files with
NetworkLinks do work in Google Maps (e.g.,
http://cleanwater.goshen.edu/kml/ccwp.kml), so this does not seem to be
something stupid I did on the Google Maps side (this KML I mentioned has a
<Link> tag inside the <NetworkLink>, as opposed to a <Url> tag that comes
in the one generated by GeoServer)

So my questions are:
- Should this be working and I am indeed doing something stupid on the
Google Maps side?
- Is there any GeoServer configuration tweak I can use to get this to work,
or is KML simply not fit for this purpose because Google Maps doesn't
support loading KML features on demand?
- Is there another solution using GeoServer that could work well for this
situation, using Google Maps?
- Would this KML idea work well out of the box with other web clients
(OpenLayers, Leaflet, etc)?

Thanks
Milton

--