Thanks for the advice Jonathan!

From: Jonathan Moules [mailto:jonathan-li...@lightpear.com]
Sent: 11 July 2016 14:52
To: Chris Buckmaster
Cc: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Geoserver-users] Disable / alter Geoserver web admin interface
for    external users

Hi Chris,

In that scenario my first thought would be of having multiple instances of
GeoServer - a development one (which has the web interface and you can
administer), and then a production one which has the web-interface disabled.
This removes the risk of mistakes in administering affecting production users.

Alternately, you could also indeed do IIS authentication - just be sure to only
require authentication for requests to the /web/ path. This won't impact any
access to your data as they come through other paths.
If you *do* want (some) other people to be able to administer the system, but
only specific layers, then Jim's solution would be the best. If you want to
have everything (for you and other admins) or nothing (for everyone else), then
the IIS option will probably be simplest.

Cheers,
Jonathan

---- On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:22:36 +0100 Chris
Buckmaster<chris.buckmas...@runnymede.gov.uk<mailto:chris.buckmas...@runnymede.gov.uk>>
 wrote ----
Hi Jonathan

Yes I did notice that but do need access to it within my internal network so I
can carry out admin work, I also thought about adding authentication in Windows
IIS but probably wouldn’t be a good approach as it might affect access to the
data layers themselves.

Will have a look at the information provided by Jim in the previous post.

Chris