Hi Adam,
sorry for the delay but the email got buried in the mix...

>From the log, I see this:
the ImageMosaicFormatFactory looks for the Kakadu jar and it doesn't find
it.
This is part of the ImageMosaicFormatFactory plugin discovery steps: it
looks for available image readers at runtime and report a debug message if
they are missing.

Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gce.imagemosaic] - Unable to load kakadu JPEG2000 reader spi
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
it.geosolutions.imageio.plugins.jp2k.JP2KKakaduImageReaderSpi

So not an issue. After that, it should look for the available GDAL (jar)
plugins.
Since your log previously reported that GDAL native library is not
available, I assume you have installed the GDAL extensions (gdal jars) on
your geoserver..

Nov 15 08:44:37 the-geoserver server[23733]: Nov 15, 2016 8:44:37 AM
it.geosolutions.imageio.gdalframework.GDALUtilities loadGDAL
Nov 15 08:44:37 the-geoserver server[23733]: WARNING: Failed to load
the GDAL native libs. This is not a problem unless you need to use the
GDAL plugins: they won't be enabled.
Nov 15 08:44:37 the-geoserver server[23733]:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no gdaljni in java.library.path

You have additional confirmation of missing GDAL native libs by the
related geotools format factories:

Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.erdasimg] - ErdasImgFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.envihdr] - EnviHdrFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.ehdr] - EsriHdrFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.dted] - DTEDFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.jp2mrisd] - JP2MrSIDFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.rpftoc] - RPFTOCFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.mrsid] - MrSIDFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.jp2k] - JP2KFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.jp2ecw] - JP2ECWFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.ecw] - ECWFormatFactory is not availaible.
Nov 15 08:44:40 the-geoserver server[23733]: 15 Nov 08:44:40 DEBUG
[gdal.nitf] - NITFFormatFactory is not availaible.

(Note that GeoServer-GDAL extensions are based on GDAL 1.9.2. The yum
gdal-java installation isn't guaranteed to work since it depends on how
they have generated the java bindings)

Back to the ImageMosaic checks... After the Kakadu check, the
ImageMosaicFormatFactory initialization looks for GDAL plugins. At this
point, no other classNotFoundException will occur since the jars are in the
classpath. The isAvailable method of the GDAL utilities will return false
(since no JNI has been found) so no GDAL plugins will be supported in
ImageMosaic. Finally, the ImageMosaicFormatFactory should reach its own
isAvailable method, looking for JAI classes on the classpath. At this point
it should have been properly initialized. So we still need to figure out
where that ServiceConfigurationError comes from.
Do you also have "localhost" logs or any other logs being created by tomcat
containing additional reports?

Cheers,
Daniele

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 11:22 PM, Adam Steer <adam.st...@anu.edu.au> wrote:

> [...]
> run(HostConfig.java:1898)
> >         at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.
> call(Executors.java:511)
> >         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
> >         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(
> ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
> >         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(
> ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
> > 2016-11-14 16:32:20,574 WARN [geotools.factory] - Can't load a service
> for category "GridFormatFactorySpi". Cause is "ServiceConfigurationError:
> org.geotools.coverage.grid.io.GridFormatFactorySpi: Provider
> org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.ImageMosaicFormatFactory could not be
> instantiated".
> >

> > --
> > ==
> > GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
> > http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
> > ==
> >
> > Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
> > Senior Software Engineer
> >
> > GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> > Via di Montramito 3/A
> > 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> > Italy
> > phone: +39 0584 962313
> > fax:      +39 0584 1660272
> >
> > http://www.geo-solutions.it
> > http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

> > AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
> >
> > Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o
> nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
> loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
> per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
> messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
> darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
> stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
> divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
> utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
> principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.
> >

> > The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely
> for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential
> or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
> (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
> Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
> copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
> strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
> immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
> information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
> does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
> completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
> made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A