Kevin,

I expect that this is caused by the feature of interest lacking a
geometry property at the top-level (an attribute in UML-speak). In the
tutorial example, MappedFeature has a geometry property, but
GeologicUnit has only an association with zero or more MappedFeatures
that describe its location. For example, a geologic unit might be mapped
as several outcrops (the gsml:occurrence association). Here is the UML
from the GeoSciML 4.0 (the older version in the tutorial is similar):
http://www.geosciml.org/geosciml/4.0/documentation/html/index.htm?goto=1:3:1:105

I expect app-schema WMS to work for types that have a top-level geometry
property. The WMS page also documents limitations on styling with
properties from referenced features.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 30/11/16 09:09, kweis...@harris.com wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm trying to enable WMS support on an app-schema feature per the
> instructions here
> (http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/app-schema/wms-support.html).
> The data is retrievable via WFS 2.0 requests, but when I try to request the
> product via WMS the client receives a ServiceExceptionReport stating that
> "Rendering process failed".  Inspecting the logs it appears to be resulting
> from a NullPointerException in StreamingRenderer.java at line 2686.  Moving
> up the stack I see a warn message stating that a transform exception occurred
> when trying to de-project the current envelope.  It looks like it's trying to
> transform the requested BBOX to a null projection.
>
> Naturally, I assumed I had screwed something up configuration-wise so I
> imported the app-schema tutorial "gsml" workspace and restarted GeoServer to
> test.  Oddly enough, "gsml:MappedFeature" displays properly via WMS, but
> "gsml:GeologicUnit" causes the same error I saw with my own app-schema
> mappings.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Am I missing some
> configuration value somewhere or is this something I should report via the
> bug tracker?
>
> The issue was originally discovered using GeoServer 2.9.2, but was replicated
> in our environment using GeoServer 2.10.0 as well (using the appropriately
> versioned plugins of course).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin M. Weiss
> Software Engineer