I am not sure if you can do that (perhaps via the rest api?). Ut would be a
good feature request.

One thing to keep in mind is that the styles folders are special in that
they are published via a URL (this is how the relative links to icons and
fonts are expected to function if an external server is accessing the
style).

* geoserver/styles/foo.sld (can reference icons in the global styles folder)
* geoserver/styles/workspace/bar.sld (can reference icons in the workspace
styles folder and the global styles folder)

I think with those publication restrictions in mind we should stick with
using the styles folders as provided. I would be concerned from a security
standpoint if styles could be located anywhere in the file system.

--
Jody Garnett