Gavin,

as far as I know, REST can only be used to update configurations and data files, not data in a database

The OGC standard to update data in a database is WFS-T (transactional WFS), but this is only supported in GeoServer for simple features, and is not supported by the app-schema plugin.

If you expose your underlying database tables as simple features, you can use WFS-T to update them. The updates will be encoded in the simple feature type not GeodesyML.

app-schema support for WFS-T will have to address identity and cardinality of nested features; when a complex feature is updated, are nested features also updated? This could be tricky to implement.

Kind regards,
Ben.