Something looks funny with the URL, should be
/gwc/service/kml/<layer>.png.kml  not kml.kmz. Where png is the format you
want to use for the image tiles themselves. So could be jpeg or any other
format that is published for that tiled layer.

The GWC endpoint will give you just image tiles, not features. So you do
need to use the KML Reflector to get those. As for the performance you'll
need to make sure the default KMSCORE is set correctly or that you specify
an appropriate one in your network link. If you can't get features fast
enough then I'd look more at the underlying layer. If its PostGIS do you
have the geometry indexed properly, etc. Is there just too many features
for the zoom level you want? Then adjust SLD.

Jason Newmoyer
Newmoyer Geospatial Solutions
843.606.0424
ja...@newmoyergeospatial.com