Hi,

I know the GeoServer logging has been mentioned before and that more
development could be done on the logging profiles were funding and resources
available but I was wondering if the existing production log actually contains
any reference to the database delays?

Our ICT departments are busy at work changing over hardware etc. and we are
trying to determine whether or not this is impacting disk read/write speeds and
connections. Our spatial database is provided by an Oracle database and the
cached content is on Windows disk drives so there are a number of factors. I
have mentioned before that I wanted to try and get information about each step
in the rendering process into the production log so that you might have say a
percentage of the time taken for each request logged. This might be in the
audit logging but it would effectively split the request into waiting
(GeoServer queue), data acquisition (read from database or file system), tile
rendering and then perhaps download time (back to the user).

Clearly that may already exist in GeoTools logging and it would probably take a
lot of work if it was completely new development but I was wondering about the
timeout message.

If the rendering times out we currently get:
org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: This request used more time than
allowed and has been forcefully stopped. Max rendering time is 60.0s

Would it be possible to include the step if failed on at this point?

So it might read:
org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: This request used more time than
allowed and has been forcefully stopped during data read. Max rendering time is
60.0s
org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: This request used more time than
allowed and has been forcefully stopped during rendering. Max rendering time is
60.0s

I believe my current issue is because the database is too slow responding but
we have a lot of layers and spatial indices can be broken in a number of ways.
It would be great if we could look through the logs and identify if slow tiles
are failing at the data acquisition phase rather than the GeoServer rendering
phase.

Or perhaps that is already possible?

Please note, I am referring to the production logging profile but we do use
audit logging and perhaps that sort of information should be in the audit logs
instead.

Any thoughts would be great, sorry if it has already been discussed.
Cheers,
Paul
"This e-mail is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain
information about individuals or other sensitive information and should be
handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to
receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to
anyone else. If you have received this email in error, kindly disregard the
content of the message and notify the sender immediately. Please be aware that
all email may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with
relevant legislation."