Many thanks for your explanation.

I'm working on a javascript client that uses REST to get layergroups,
layers and the SLD to get the rules.
Then configuring a tree with layers and their rules and get Legend-Icons
for each rule.
It is planned that users can change the rules visibility.

Maybe a optional metadata @name (in addition to @title and @abstract)
would be a solution.
I have to look in the gt-css module, right?
Meanwhile I can modify the translated sld (xml) and add names to the rules.

Stefan

Am 23.09.2017 um 11:47 schrieb Andrea Aime:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Stefan Overkamp
> <stefan.overk...@gisworks.info <mailto:stefan.overk...@gisworks.info>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi geoserver-community,
>
>     creating a style in CSS-Format translates the style to sld-XML.
>
>     The documentation states:
>     The SLD Name for a rule is autogenerated based on the filters from
>     the CSS rules that combined to form it, for aid in troubleshooting.
>
>     Instead of this, there is no sld name property added to the rule (
>     no <sld:Rule><sld:Name>1</sld:Name> (...))
>     Because of this, getLegendGraphic cant be limited to specific rules.
>
>     Is this a bug or a configuration problem?
>

> Hmm... I'm not sure how to classify it. Yes, CSS does not emit a
> "Name" for rules, this is "by design", mostly because
> I never needed that (and neither did the original author of the
> module, it seems).
>
> Generally speaking legends generated by the CSS styles are difficult
> to use, they don't have a very predictable order
> (there is one, but it's difficult to explain) and a complex CSS will
> generate "dead rules" that do show up in the legend
> but do not exist in the map.
> But then again, I've used CSS mostly for complex styles with hundreds
> of CSS rules, this is the situation where
> dead rules generation happens and the legend is pretty much useless as
> it ends up containing thousands of possible different cases.
> For simpler CSS styles it should be manageable.
> When simple enough, the code goes into a deeper inspection mode, which
> takes more time to turn the CSS to SLD but does not generate dead rules.
>
> Giving unique names can also be challenging, the "title" cannot be
> really used as CSS rules might be missing titles,
> leading to multiple generated SLD rules with the same title/name
> (e.g., if your parcel rule did not have a title, the two generated
> SLD rules would be both titled "borders").
> It seems that you're suggesting to use a progressive number... that is
> of course unique and easy to implement, maybe with some predictability
> issue
> (change the orginal CSS so that the rule priority changes, and the
> same number might not hit
> the same SLD rule anymore).
>
> Probably good enough though?
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> ==GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
> http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.==Ing. Andrea Aime
> @geowolfTechnical LeadGeoSolutions S.A.S.Via di Montramito 3/A55054
>  Massarosa (LU)phone: +39 0584 962313fax: +39 0584 1660272mob: +39
>  339 8844549http://www.geo-solutions.ithttp://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
>
> AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
>
> Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o
> nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
> Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
> [...]

Dipl.Ing. Stefan Overkamp
tel: 02052 / 800 9847
GISWORKS GbR, Gröndelle 3, 42555 Velbert
www.gisworks.info