Dear List,

currently I am facing a problem with our WMS Service. The data source is a big
Image Pyramid with 5 levels covering Germany in EPSG:25832. For tiles outside
the boundaries of the dataset Geoserver throws nullpointer exceptions:

2017-09-25 11:47:22,205 ERROR [geoserver.ows] -
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2110)
        at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2016)
        at javax.media.jai.RenderedOp.getData(RenderedOp.java:2266)
        at
it.geosolutions.imageio.plugins.png.ScanlineProviderFactory.getProvider(ScanlineProviderFactory.java:53)
        at
it.geosolutions.imageio.plugins.png.PNGWriter.isScanlineSupported(PNGWriter.java:111)

I added a footprints.shp to each level of the Pyramid to set the boundary for
the WMS. Is this causing those issues? I added the footrpints via trial and
error, because I couldn't find footprints for pyramids in the documentation.

We are running a geoserver 2.11.1 (we already downgraded, because in the latest
stable release (2.11.2) we couldn't view the WMS in any other CRS)

Thanks and kind regards,
Anna