We get the following error message when invoking the Tile Caching / Tile
Layers panel in the web UI:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not locate a layer or
layer group with id LayerInfoImpl--2c3fc31e:159ff9b77e2:-7f6a within
GeoServer configuration, the GWC configuration seems to be out of synch

Is there any way to fix this?  Perhaps by deleting objects from the data
directory?  Even better would be a way to fix it from the Web UI itself,
since we don't have easy access to the server.

There are previous reports of the same issue [1][2].  Seems like a
candidate for some more gracefully failure handling..

[1] https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-7202
[2] https://sourceforge.net/p/geoserver/mailman/message/34484893/