Hi,

"Is it possible to decide which users can access which features in a layer?"
I'm using the following solution for postgis datastore/layer:

  * set a Session startup SQL (and session close-up SQL) in the
    datastore. This will set a variable with the current GeoServer user.
    e.g. startup "SELECT set_config('myapp.user', '${GSUSER,geoserver}',
    FALSE)
    close-up "SELECT set_config('myapp.user', '', FALSE)
  * create a sql view, restricting the returned records with the set
    variable (current_setting('myapp.user', TRUE))
    normally you would have an additional table in your database with
    mapping of usernames to records/spatial entities

Regards,
Stefan