Hello,

We are running GeoServer 2.14.1 as a webapp in tomcat 8.5 on Centos7.

I am having an issue with the Catalog Mode feature and am wondering if this
is a bug or an error with my configuration.  We are trying to restrict
access to the layer preview page to Authenticated users.  We also
extensively use GeoServer to serve live links to GoogleEarth.  Users are
provided the KMZ URL which they save in GoogleEarth.  With this setup users
are able to see data from PostGIS live in GoogleEarth with GeoServer as the
middle man.  The issue is when I switch the catalog mode to mixed or hide
(which does effectively hide the layer preview), the live links stop
updating/establishing a connection.  I have narrowed down the issue to the
fact that with the mixed or hide catalog mode GeoServer does NOT request
user credentials, it simply goes to the error message:

   - Mixed mode: "Cannot access *layer *with the current privileges.
   - Hide mode: HTTP Status 404: "Type Status Report Description The origin
   server did not find a current representation for the target resource or is
   not willing to disclose that one exists."

I tested this by placing the URL into an incognito window. So it looks like
with the mixed or hide mode GeoServer fails to ask for user credentials.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,
Vera