Hi Ville,
I'm a developer on GeoWave and thought I'd chime in on the topic of scale a
bit.  Andrea makes a great point - it's true the setup and overhead
involved in leveraging key-value stores like HBase, Accumulo, and Cassandra
may be more involved than necessary for anything below a certain scale.
When dealing with IoT data sources with extreme volume and velocity it is
very nice to leverage a standard "big data" ecosystem and is worth the
investment - but it is not for everyone.

GeoWave was born from these "big data" use cases, but I thought I'd provide
an update that GeoWave has recently expanded its support for key-value
stores to include some very lightweight options (such as RocksDB and
Redis).  We maintain common APIs, features, and integrations (such as
GeoServer of course) regardless of the key-value store.  The idea is to
just make it a matter of switching connection parameters to leverage a
different backend store.

Here's an article
<https://www.eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2018/december/geowave.php>
recently wrote that touches on some of the advantages we've found in
leveraging GeoWave with the right key-value store for the right job/scale.

Anyways, I definitely don't want to take away from the tremendous
flexibility that SQL and traditional databases provide, but thought I'd
interject with an option - particularly if you think you ultimately will
need to scale to a "big data" ecosystem, but would rather defer worrying
about that additional complexity at this stage. The buy in or cost can be
very low using something like RocksDB in a purely local embedded datastore
(and there are cloud options for RocksDB as well). Also, Redis as a service
is extremely easy to setup.  Then you could do what we've been doing to
stick with a common API from GeoWave, and take the hit to setup a
distributed architecture as it makes sense.

Rich