If your data is in PostgreSQL you can definitely do this type of query with
a view on the database side (I can provide an example) .  This is the
solution I am using and the performance is very good since the query occurs
database side.
When you say "subset of the geometry" is this subset based on an
attribute/field filter?  If not how are you selecting the subset?
I have not tried to do this in GeoServer but it would require access to the
geometry field of both layers.  Maybe someone else can comment on if the
geometry fields will be accessible between layers.  For example if you have
layerA and layerB.  Can you access the geometry of layerA when setting up a
query on layerB?
Let me know if I am understanding your question correctly.
Vera