Hi,

thank you very much for the suggestion! Unfortunately I was not able to get
the layer group working by deleting the layer group and layers and
re-adding them. There also wasn't any errors in the log. On verbose
logging, the log was full of DEBUG-messages: [geoserver.ows] - Could not
find a layer group named web, but I'm not sure how useful this is.

Inspired by your experience, I tried creating a new workspace, new store,
published a couple of layers, and created a layer group inside the
workspace. I then gave everyone read access to the workspace, individual
layers and layer group separately. This worked, and the new layer group
showed up in the Capabilities document for unauthenticated users! However,
I have not been able to replicate the results. I tried creating new layer
groups following the same steps as closely as possible but they are not
showing up. It remains a mystery to me why only this one layer group is
shown in the capabilities document, but others are not.

-Mikael