OK. I have not solved it but have done some research;
1) Installed clean Ubuntu 18.04.2
2) apt-get update / upgrade etc
3) Installed tomcat9
4) Copied 2.15 GeoServer.war to /var/lib/tomcat9/webapps
GeoServer started
5) created /data, chown tomcat:tomcat /data/
6) restarted tomcat9, and got the original error “which is not writeable”
7) Installed GeoServer 2.14
8) It won’t run under java 11 I assume
9) Installed OpenJDK 1.8.0_191
10) Installed tomcat8
11) Installed GeoServer.war
12) Edited web.xml to set DATA_DIR
13) GeoServer started and used /data as DATA dir.

I am not sure where to look now but if anybody has things they want me to look
at I have some spare time.

I may try tomcat8/Java 8 on Ubuntu 19.04 later.

Russ