Hi Mats,
You may want to try Ian's suggestions.
If still not working, at this point I think it's an issue in the way Apache
Tomcat is configured. The GDAL DLLs need to be properly referenced and
loaded to have the GDAL plugin work.
I never used Tomcat as a Windows service so I can't provide additional
help. However, I have found this documentation page:
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html

You may want to try setting the --Environment flag to specify the PATH
and/or the --jvmOptions flag to setup the -Djava.library.path to see if the
values you need are somehow sent to the application.
Please, let us know.
Regards,
Daniele

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 3:08 PM Ian Turton <ijtur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> setting
>> JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.library.path=C:\gdal1911\bin;C:\gdal1911\bin\gdal\java
>> and then restarting Geoserver. Still no mention of GDAL in the java
>> library path.
>> As I said, restarting the whole Apache geodata pack kills the JAVA_OPTS
>> setting. I honestly have no idea what is going on here.
>>
>> Regards, Mats.E
>>

>> *GisKraft*, GIS och webbkonsult
>> Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
>> tel: +46 70 595 39 35 / web: www.giskraft.com
>>

>> Den mån 7 okt. 2019 kl 09:19 skrev Daniele Romagnoli <
>> daniele.romagn...@geo-solutions.it>:
>>
>>> Hi Mats,
>>> quick question:
>>> Which GeoServer 2.16 are you using? Is it a 2.16.0 or a 2.16-RC instead?
>>> The past month we noticed that the 2.16-RC wasn't containing a GDAL jar
>>> so we fixed that before doing the 2.16.0 release which properly contains
>>> the missing package.
>>> You might double check on your webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib if the
>>> gdal-2.2.0.jar lib is available.
>>> I would also take a look on your tomcat's catalina.out/catalina.log to
>>> see if it spots anything about GDAL.
>>>
>>> Please, let us know.
>>> Daniele

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Daniele Romagnoli
>>> ==
>>> GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
>>> http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
>>> Senior Software Engineer
>>>
>>> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
>>> Via di Montramito 3/A
>>> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
>>> Italy
>>> phone: +39 0584 962313
>>> fax:      +39 0584 1660272
>>>
>>> http://www.geo-solutions.it
>>> http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

>>> Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg.
>>> UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
>>> precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
>>> contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
>>> riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
>>> messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
>>> operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.
>>>
>>> This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
>>> addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
>>> otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
>>> European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
>>> e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
>>> recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
>>> notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

>> If you want to request a feature or an improvement, also see this:

Daniele Romagnoli
==