If anyone else is struggling with this here are the steps:
cd /opt/tomcat/webapps/geoserver/data/workspaces
cp /yourPath/content.ftl .
chown tomcat:tomcat content.ftl
cd ..
mkdir templates
chown tomcat:tomcat templates
cp / yourPath /header.ftl templates/.
cp / yourPath /footer.ftl templates/.
chown tomcat:tomcat templates/*

So basically:

   1. create a *templates *folder at  /opt/tomcat/webapps/geoserver/data/
   2. put your header and footer in this templates folder
   3. put your content.ftl in
   /opt/tomcat/webapps/geoserver/data/workspaces to have it apply to all
   workspaces or as per the instructions in specific lower folders to apply at
   the store or layer level.

I'll try to post an issue in JIRA to request an update to the documentation
as I think this is currently unclear.
Vera