Hello,
This issue is a bit of a ghost so I apologies for the long lead-up but it
is necessary.

I WAS having an issue where some (but not all) tables coming from a PostGIS
database store did not automatically pick up the native SRS from the layer.
It can be resolved by declaring the SRS manually however this causes issues
downstream in our workflow where the layer is served as WMS to leaflet.
Even though the Open Layers preview will show the data, the WMS will not.

This issue can be resolved by setting PG permissions as per this post which
offers an excellent PG permission setup recipe:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41537825/restricted-postgresql-permissions-for-web-app/47955583#47955583

After completing this trust that the issue is no longer PG permissions!

*So finally the issue:*
After permissions are updated in PG *GeoServer continues to NOT pick up the
native SRS* from the layer. Even after disconnecting and reconnecting to
GeoServer. Even after connection from an incognito window to a new
GeoServer session! Somewhere it is stored and locked.
To resolve rename the table in PG (obviously not ideal and not always an
option). Then GeoServer immediately sees the native SRS.

*So my question is, where is the layer information being locked up and how
to refresh the connection between the PG data store and GeoServer?*

Versions:
GeoServer: 2.15.0
PG 10 (postGIS 2.4) , 11 and 12 (postGIS 2.5)
Browser: Chrome

Thank you,
Vera

*(PS, I am now taking some headache medication since I banged my head
against the wall for so long with regard to this. If this can not be
resolved at least I am hoping this post will help others work around it.) *