Apologize some other missing informations:

1. Workspace 'gsoc' is isolated and the request has the workspace in the
path too ( /gsoc/wms?...layers=gsoc:layername)
2. Layer is a normal geotiff layer but it has been treated as layergroup?
->
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/2.17.2/src/gwc/src/main/java/org/geoserver/gwc/layer/CatalogConfiguration.java#L255

3. 100% sure that the issue is not related to management of the geoserver
instances from GCP since we have only 2 instances I've checked that no
action has been performed during the test.

C.