They used to bundle adware in fairly deceptive ways. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#DevShare_adware

Thanks,

Emilio

On 10/8/20 1:34 PM, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:
Hi,

Out of curiosity, what makes Sourceforge unsafe? The website is using cookies
and I see advertisements. Is there something else?

-Jukka Rahkonen-

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: galebellego <galebellego....@orange.com>
Lähetetty: torstai 8. lokakuuta 2020 10.12
Vastaanottaja: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Aihe: Re: [Geoserver-users] Alternate (safe) host for geoserver stable release

Ian, thanks for your answer.

We already did such for other tools for similar reasons (so I guess this answers
"how much paranoia your company wants to pay for").
But in a less extremist way, I was wondering if geoserver community has more
than the single SF deposit for release artifacts, some I could more easilly
trust.

Emilio's note about checksum/signatures would indeed be a very good improvement
towards security.

-----
Gaël LB
--