From: Gehlen, Ina-Marie <ina-marie.geh...@htw-dresden.de>
Sent: Tuesday, 25 May 2021 12:40 AM
To: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Geoserver-users] 3D Data and Objects research

Hey everyone,

I´m doing some research on the possibilities to publish 3D Data and Objects
with GeoServer.

With 3D Objects I mean Objects like trees, benches, walls... and also 3D-
building models in any kind of 3D able format.
Formats of the 3D Data or Objects could be e.g. kml, kmz, glTF, georeferenced
CAD, GML, CityGML, obj, COLLADA(dae), revit or ifc. Or any other format.

I know that there is no easy way to just import those formats. Thats why I´m
doing this research.

I like to find out if there is maybe a workaround, an extension or  some thing
else to make it possible to publish some of these formats. Maybe someone knows
a good way to process those data to another format that can be published. Or
somebody uses another softwear to publish 3D Data next to GeoServer. I read a
lot but most of the papers in some way discussing that topic were old ones from
around 2013 where w3ds (Web 3d service) was about to become a standard. It
feels like since then not much research and development was done in that field.

A few things I found out so far.
For kml I found out that I can use the importer extension, what did not worked
like I wanted but thats something for another question.
For CityGML data I read about 3DCityDB in some papers and I think it could be
possible to use that to write the data to postgis and then publish the postgis
tables.
For GML I saw a site of the documentation talking about an extension but I
could not find it.

I know that my question is really open but maybe someone knows something that
will help me.
I´m happy about every answer, even though its just a link to something or so.

Thank you for your help,
Ina