From: John Joseph <chardin.li...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 1 June 2021 17:01
To: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Geoserver-users] GEOSERVER_HOME envrionemnt variable on Ubuntu

Hello, I'm installing Geoserver-2.19.1 (binary, platform independent) stable
release on Ubuntu 20.04.  I'm following the Geoserver documentation as best I
can, but am running into trouble on setting the GEOSERVER_HOME environment
variable.

After following the documentation to download and extract zip files, I have the
directories set up such that my startup.sh is located as shown:

/usr/share/geoserver/geoserver-2.19.1-bin/bin/startup.sh

Now Step 5 of the current on-line GeoServer documentation says to define the
GEOSERVER_HOME environment variable by entering the command (which I've copied
and pasted here):

echo "export GEOSERVER_HOME=/usr/share/geoserver" >> ~/.profile

. ~/.profile

I assume this is all supposed to be entered as a single command line, as the
instructions say to type it in, so I typed it in like this:

echo "export GEOSERVER_HOME=/usr/share/geoserver" >> ~/.profile. ~/.profile

which did not work for me.  Prior to that, I had entered (erroneously) as two
separate command lines (. ~/.profile as the 2nd command).  But either way when
I try to do a subesequent step,

cd geoserver/bin

I get "No such file or directory". I actually got Geoserver to start last night
by using the commands "cd /usr/share/geoserver/geoserver-2.19.1-bin/bin" and
then "sh startup.sh", but now even that won't work.

Can someone tell me my error?  I'm considering re-installing, but would like to
have a bit more insight before I do that.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Disclaimer
De informatie in dit e-mailbericht, inclusief eventuele bijlage(s) is
vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n). Gebruik van deze
informatie door anderen dan de geadresseerde(n) is niet toegestaan.
Openbaarmaking, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden
wordt niet gepermitteerd. Wanneer u dit bericht ten onrechte heeft ontvangen,
dient u de afzender hiervan per e-mail op de hoogte te brengen en dit bericht
te verwijderen.