Neil:

Can you describe more in what way the quality is lacking? Is it distorted,
or pixelated, or what? Did you do any data prep to your geotiff, say
introduce an overview? If so what sampling technique did you use?
What does "gdalinfo" return for your image?

Some general guidance from Paul Ramsey is here
https://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2015/02/geotiff-compression-for-dummies.html
--
Jody Garnett