There is likely a bug in the vector tiles plugin too. It's not getting much
use, as far as I can see. Personally, I've used it in anger a couple of
years
ago: for small and medium test datasets, it was working well, but I've
never tried to run a seed job, only dynamic cache population (driven by
requests).
I haven't touched it since. You probably best spend some time isolating a
tile that's failing, and look for a bug in the plugin.