I made some more tests to understand who is the culprit.

wicket links or buttons take to a white page or have no UI response.
The response to POSTs commands result in a 403 error.

E.g.:

I go to Geoerver logs page anche click on the Refresh link.

The browser goes to the following empty page:

http://mydomain:8080/geoserver/web/wicket/bookmarkable/org.geoserver.web.admin.LogPage?36-1.IFormSubmitListener-form&filter=false

The post command is:

http://mydomain:8080/geoserver/web/wicket/bookmarkable/org.geoserver.web.admin.LogPage?36-1.IFormSubmitListener-form=&filter=false

The request payload:
refresh=x&lines=1000

The response:
HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 07:49:36 GMT

I get a similar behaviour with every link/button in the administrative
interface where there's a POST command implied.

I tried VERBOSE_LOGGING and GEOSERVER_DEVELOPER_LOGGIN but the only
lines I get are like the following:

2022-02-01 08:24:43,981 WARN [geotools.xsd] - Sax parser property
'http://www.oracle.com/xml/jaxp/properties/entityExpansionLimit' not
recognized.  Xerces version is incompatible.

Nothing else is logged to the geoserver log.

In catalaina.out there are lines like:

01 Feb 08:22:04 WARN [geoserver.security] - Failed login, user admin
from my_IP
01 Feb 08:24:43 WARN [geotools.xsd] - Sax parser property
'http://www.oracle.com/xml/jaxp/properties/entityExpansionLimit' not
recognized.  Xerces version is incompatible.

Any other suggestion?

Thank you
        maxx