The problem could be resolved. It was simply a misinterpretation of the output.

In the mentioned configuration, there are three temporal dimensions defined:

 * time: read from the netCDF files' time coordinates directly
 * fileDate: read from the file name via regular expression
 * updated: current date/time

In the netCDF file that is returned from the GetCoverage request there are 5 dimensions in total (lat, lon, time, fileDate, updated) of which some are empty (contain only zeros) depending on the combinatoin of the three temporal dimensions.

Thus it is either necessary to slice correctly over all three temporal dimensions or change the definition so there is only a single temporal dimension (time) and no additional empty layers are contained in the file.