Hello everybody,

A quick note from a very new geoserver administrator:  I successfully setup
Active Directory Auth on our geoserver according to this guide:
https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/security/tutorials/activedirectory/index.html
     One thing it does not mention is that AD supports the
LDAP_MATCHING_RULE_IN_CHAIN extension - see
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/adsi/search-filter-syntax .
This is an easy and efficient way to recursively detect group membership.

To explain:  Suppose user U is a member of group A, and group A is a member of
group B.  Suppose geoserver's LDAP authentication is configured with :Group to
use as ADMIN=B .

If you have the group search filter
member={0}
, then U will not be a member of B.  But if you enter
member:1.2.840.113556.1.4.1941:={0}
then U will be a member of B, via A.

I am on an old geoserver version that does not allow recursive searches.  I
understand that more recent versions do allow recursive searches, but this
extension is much lighter and faster, so it is the preferrable alternative for
AD.

I wanted to open a support ticket to adapt the documentation, but that age
directed me to discussing the ticket here, so here I am.

Hans