From: Mark Hammond <mark.hamm...@bto.org>
Sent: maandag 1 augustus 2022 14:51
To: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Geoserver-users] Geoserver 2.21.0 and JDK17

Hi Folks,

Have been successfully using Geoserver for a number of years.

Have been doing preparatory work to upgrade to JDK17/Glassfish 6.x

Having noticed Geoserver 2.21.0 supports JDK17, downloaded this to try on the
new setup.

Geoserver 2.21.0 fails to deploy on a virgin JDK17/GF6.2.5 setup with the
following error reported in the log:

remote failure: Error occurred during deployment: Exception while loading the
app : java.lang.IllegalStateException:
ContainerBase.addChild: start: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/servlet/ServletContextListener. Please see server.log for more details.

This suggests some component within 2.21.0 has not been upgraded to
JDK17 since it is still using the javax.servlet namespace. Tried with and
without additional database drivers/plugins

Are there separate JDK17 and non-JDK17 branches? If so, where can I get the
JDK17 version from. If there are not separate branches. Can anyone suggest a
set of steps that would see 2.21.0 deploy correctly?

Kindest Regards
Mark