Hi Patricia,
what you tried should be the way to go, that is, creating the geometry
metadata table and filling it with the expected information.
That is indeed the only way a geometry type can be recognized in SQL Server.
Code performing that lookup is here
<https://github.com/geotools/geotools/blob/48e5b5ba93720beaa8dc3abb38e05e7c655a0efc/modules/plugin/jdbc/jdbc-sqlserver/src/main/java/org/geotools/data/sqlserver/SQLServerDialect.java#L362>,
as you can see there is some logging going on: you can switch GeoServer
logging profile to "GEOTOOLS_DEVELOPER_LOGGING" and see which queries are
being used to find the geometry type.

Mind that fiddling with the table contents after GeoServer has determined
the table structure once won't help much, as the results are cached.
After making any change in the geometry table, I'd recommend you go to the
status page and press the "clear" button to force it to drop all caches and
database connections, and start clean.

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 1:33 AM Patricia Kneen <pkn...@forteconsulting.ca>
wrote:

> Good afternoon. I am trying to figure out how to publish my SQL Server
> point data in Geoserver as Points, rather than “Other Geometry”.
>

> I have tried with many versions of Geoserver (2.15 – 2.22) and a whole
> variety of options, but I cannot seem to convince Geoserver that the layer
> contains regular old points. I am working with real data and have done a
> number of quality checks, but to be sure I came up with a simple test case
> to confirm what I am seeing. Below is the test case in case anyone is
> interested in trying it for themselves.
>

> I have created a table called singlepoint which contains, as expected, a
> single record with a Shape column that is a single point.
>
> create table singlepoint (ID int, Shape geometry);
>

> I then inserted a point and made sure that SQL Server recognizes it as a
> point with a valid SRID:
>
> select Shape.STX, Shape.STY, Shape.STGeometryType(), Shape.STSrid from
> singlepoint;
>
> X                                             Y
>                                 SType    SRID
>
> -13754366.933777            6159721.47460994           Point     102100
>

> I inserted a record into the geometry_columns table:
>
> f_table_catalog                 f_table_schema
> f_table_name   f_geometry_column       coord_dimension
> srid                geometry_type qgis_pkey
>
> myazdb                                 dbo
>                                 singlepoint          Shape
>                                 0
>                 102100  POINT                   ID
>

> I created a simple Microsoft SQL Server Store in Geoserver using all of
> the defaults and specifying “geometry_columns” as the metadata table.
>

> When I publish the singlepoint table as a layer, it invariably gets the
> “Other Geometry” icon in the layer list and layer preview. The default
> style is the generic style instead of “point”. The ramifications of this is
> that when I try to view the data using the GSR community plugin, it tries
> to read it as a polygon.
>

> Is there any way to explicitly declare this layer as point layer within
> Geoserver? I believe I have done everything on the SQL Server side to
> ensure that it is defined as a point layer.
>

> Many thanks in advance for your help,
>

> Patricia

> If you want to request a feature or an improvement, also see this:
> https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Successfully-requesting-and-integrating-new-features-and-improvements-in-GeoServer

Andrea Aime

Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services-us for more information.

@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions Group
phone: +39 0584 962313

fax:     +39 0584 1660272

mob:   +39  339 8844549

https://www.geosolutionsgroup.com/

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail