Hi,
I had a quick look and indeed Geoserver is not able to open the files, I
see errors like:

Caused by: org.geotools.data.DataSourceException: java.io.IOException:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No valid coverages name to be written
        at
org.geotools.coverage.io.netcdf.NetCDFAccess.<init>(NetCDFAccess.java:130)
        at
org.geotools.coverage.io.netcdf.NetCDFDriver.connect(NetCDFDriver.java:93)
        at
org.geotools.coverage.io.impl.DefaultFileDriver.process(DefaultFileDriver.java:231)
        at
org.geotools.coverage.io.netcdf.NetCDFReader.<init>(NetCDFReader.java:156)
        ... 164 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No valid coverages name to be written
        at
org.geotools.imageio.netcdf.NetCDFImageReader.setInput(NetCDFImageReader.java:307)
        at
java.desktop/javax.imageio.ImageReader.setInput(ImageReader.java:380)
        at
org.geotools.coverage.io.netcdf.NetCDFAccess.<init>(NetCDFAccess.java:119)
        ... 167 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No
valid coverages name to be written
        at
org.geotools.imageio.netcdf.NetCDFImageReader.initIndex(NetCDFImageReader.java:414)
        at
org.geotools.imageio.netcdf.NetCDFImageReader.init(NetCDFImageReader.java:541)
        at
org.geotools.imageio.netcdf.NetCDFImageReader.setInput(NetCDFImageReader.java:305)
        ... 169 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No valid coverages name to
be written
        at
org.geotools.imageio.netcdf.AncillaryFileManager.storeIndexer(AncillaryFileManager.java:390)
        at
org.geotools.imageio.netcdf.AncillaryFileManager.writeToDisk(AncillaryFileManager.java:382)
        at
org.geotools.imageio.netcdf.NetCDFImageReader.initIndex(NetCDFImageReader.java:402)
        ... 171 more

According to the documentation
<https://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/extensions/netcdf/netcdf.html#notes-on-supported-netcdfs>,
GeoServer should be able to open files conforming to the COARDS
<https://geos-chem.readthedocs.io/en/latest/geos-chem-shared-docs/supplemental-guides/coards-guide.html>
convention...
checking the files with PanoplyJ I see a grouping/netsting construct I
haven't seen before, which does not seem to appear
in COARDS either:

[image: image.png]

It might be possible to have GeoServer open these files, but I guess that
would need some code
<https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Successfully-requesting-and-integrating-fixes,-improvements-and-new-features-in-GeoServer>
modifications in the NetCDF driver
.

On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 9:09 PM Langer, Christian <christian.lan...@idiv.de>
wrote:

> [...]
>    -
>
> https://portal.geobon.org/data/upload/5/public/baisero_spepop_id5_20220215_v2.nc
>

> We are using GeoServer 2.20.1 with the netCDF plugin
> (geoserver-2.20.1-netcdf-plugin.zip) on a Tomcat 9 locally on a Mac
> (localhost:8080).
>
> We have followed the tutorial:
> https://geoserver.geo-solutions.it/multidim/multidim/netcdf/netcdf_config.html#netcdf
>

> We are getting always the error: "Could not list layers for this store,
> an error occurred retrieving them: Failed to create reader from file"
> (please see screenshot attached). It seems geoserver has problems to
> handle the 4th dimension. Complete log file here: geoserver.log
> <https://portal.idiv.de/owncloud/index.php/s/EL95nr96CwPSisy>
>
> We have tried the same with a netCDF structure in 3d and it works like a
> charm - geoserver could list the layers (see screenshot attached).
>

> Could we get a contact to the developer of the netCDF Plugin? Or can you
> help us directly?
>
> Any help is much appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Christian Langer
>

> *Christian Langer*
>
> Web-GIS Programmer / Web-GIS Programmierer
>
> German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv)
> Halle-Jena-Leipzig
>

> Phone    +49 341 9733141
>
> Office     B.02.11
>
> Email     christian.lan...@idiv.de
>
> Website  www.idiv.de/christian-langer
> <https://www.idiv.de/en/groups_and_people/employees/details/164.html>
>

> Affiliations
>
> Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg
>

> German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv)
> Halle-Jena-Leipzig
>
> Puschstraße 4
>
> 04103 Leipzig
>
> Germany
>

> iDiv is a research centre of the DFG – Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
>

> iDiv ist eine zentrale Einrichtung der Universität Leipzig im Sinne des §
> 92 Abs. 1 SächsHSFG und wird zusammen mit der Martin-Luther-Universität
> Halle-Wittenberg und der Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena betrieben
> sowie in Kooperation mit dem Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH –
> UFZ. Beteiligte Kooperationspartner sind die folgenden außeruniversitären
> Forschungseinrichtungen: das Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH -
> UFZ, das Max-Planck-Institut für Biogeochemie (MPI BGC), das
> Max-Planck-Institut für chemische Ökologie (MPI CE), das
> Max-Planck-Institut für evolutionäre Anthropologie (MPI EVA), das
> Leibniz-Institut Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen
> (DSMZ), das Leibniz-Institut für Pflanzenbiochemie (IPB), das
> Leibniz-Institut für Pflanzengenetik und Kulturpflanzenforschung (IPK) und
> das Leibniz-Institut Senckenberg Museum für Naturkunde Görlitz (SMNG).
> USt-IdNr. DE 141510383

> If you want to request a feature or an improvement, also see this:

Andrea Aime

Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services-us for more information.

@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions Group
phone: +39 0584 962313

fax:     +39 0584 1660272

mob:   +39  339 8844549

https://www.geosolutionsgroup.com/

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail