Hi,

I've been experimenting with switching from WMS (tiled=true) to WMTS and I
was surprised to find out that WMTS uses metatiling just like WMS. I'm
ultimately trying to eliminate metatiling for performance reasons (locking
seems to be my bottleneck, I'm okay hitting my postgis database more, I'd
prefer lower per-tile latency than average latency across multiple tiles).

However, it seems like my WMTS requests are plagued by the classic
labelling issues that WMS is affected by, unless metatiling is enabled.
Philosophically, I understand why WMS is affected by the labelling issue
but I guess I'm surprised that WMTS would also be affected by this since
the concept of tiling is built-in to the protocol.

With a single WMTS request, couldn't the backend understand that a single
tile is just a small subset of a larger grid of tiles (knowledge that is
missing from the WMS protocol), and therefore it can label accordingly,
without metatiling? In essence, couldn't it consider the entire tile matrix
as a "metatile" for styling purposes? Is this a deficiency with the current
implementation or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mitchell

--
Mitchell Bösecke