Hi all,
the typical GeoServer approach is not to be opinionated about things.
"Proudly letting users free since 2002" could be our slogan... want to be
strictly OGC compliant? We have a checkbox for you.
Want to do things in a more convenient way and the hell with standard
strictness? We also support that.

Table creation is already allowed both by the importer (which also
imports the data), and by the GUI/REST API
<https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/0ab715486a958632e9e7d54ad5746a4858189f3b/src/restconfig/src/main/java/org/geoserver/rest/catalog/FeatureTypeController.java#L226>
for table creation
(WFS-T should then be used for data import):

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]

Having a delete would make things symmetric, and I agree that cascade
should be explicitly added for that
to happen.

That said, I also hear the voice of those claiming "geoserver should not be
used to manage data".
For that, we should have a simple warning in the production section:
"GeoServer offers ability to create
and drop tables through UI and REST API, if this is not your intent, please
lock down the database
grants for the account used by GeoServer"... which is generally speaking
also good IT hygiene in general.
(don't give accounts more rights than necessary).

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 9:29 AM Rahkonen Jukka <
jukka.rahko...@maanmittauslaitos.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I do not believe that it is generally possible to know if the table was
> created with REST API or by some other means. It is possible to check the
> owner of the table and if Geoserver is configured to use a special database
> account with well thought-out privileges it might be safe to allow to drop
> tables with REST. However, I believe that in most Geoserver installations
> the geoserver db user has all too wide privileges, at least if you ask from
> the DB admins.
> If we will have a configuration option "cascade=true" then it should be
> off by default, and somehow the geoserver admin who turns it on should be
> made aware of all the consequences.
>

> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Andrea Aime

Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services-us for more information.

@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions Group
phone: +39 0584 962313

fax:     +39 0584 1660272

mob:   +39  339 8844549

https://www.geosolutionsgroup.com/

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail