Yes, I agree. When we are talking about topology, we take into account
geometry.

When in my previous post I talked about "abstraction" from data model, I
meant that data model is geometry-based: we should able to build TDM from
list of geometries, or from list of features with geometry or from something
else.. (it is a just adaptation any geometry-based models for TDM building
while actual geometry can be internal in data model (as an geometric
attribute of feature, for example)).

> In my understanding the (spatial?) "relation" of features to each other is
> managed in one central object (the "topology"?), which could maybe become
> incorporated into a FeatureCollection? A topology in the mathematical
> sense is
> just a collection of nodes, edges and faces, i.e. features (Just thinking
> loud.)

While topology is based on spatial relations, arbitrary non-geometric
objects might be bound to TDM. In that sense we are talking about features,
for example. In TDM we have FACE object, so arbitrary objects can be bound
to FACE (one or more features whose geometry is inside of the FACE,
whatsoever).

As a result, we have initial data, feature model for example (Why can we use
feature model - just because each feature has a geometry - it is the only
one thing that makes sense for topology). We build TDM (that consists from
NODE, EDGE, FACE,...) and bind different additional
attributes/objects/entities to TDM entities.

Example: polygonal coverage (no overlapping, just touches of boundaries) ->
TDM that is based on common boundaries of polygons -> each FACE has a
polygon (or feature with polygon as a geometry)  attached to it. This
illustrates what I'm talking about.

TDM may have different semantic sense. It can facilitate navigation
purposes, topological quering (find all houses that are on the right side of
the road), or editing operations of vector data in desktop GIS
application...

If we design good object model, it can serve everywhere.. I believe :)

> > So if JTS has to provide a topology model, I think there might be two
> > possible solutions: ...
>
> My idea was simply that JTS provides the geometrical part of it (the
> "topology"
> and the topology primitives node, edge, face), and GeoTools would extend
> the primitives (or wrap them or whatever) to Features, i.e. add/manage
> attributes and all the other needed stuff.

I agree with Mattias.

This what you are talking about, I call "binding" in this message.
Is it impemented as an association , or aggregation, (in OOP terms) or...
it is just an issue to be solved by common forces.

Geometry makes sense for topology.