Welcome :-)
> I'm an OpenJUMP developer that would like to join the GeoTools
> project. I must be honest and admit I have no desire to chase OGC
> specifications. My main motivation with joining GeoTools is to share
> code from OpenJUMP with UDig and other open source Java GIS projects.
> The JUMP Pilot Project and OpenJUMP developers haven't been very good
> at reaching out to the Java GIS Community as a whole, and I hope my
> involvement in GeoTools can help change that.
>
> I was going to start my stint as a GeoTools developer by reading the
> Developer Guide. However, the link to the developer found on the left
> side of the following page is broken:
>
> http://geotools.codehaus.org/Develop
This is because codehaus hates us; they "wrap" our nice wiki in an add
encrusted site and break some of the links. For this I appologize and
(plea to OSGeo or TOPP to host our confluence).

Please use this as a starting point:
- http://geotools.org/

It will direct you to the following (safe) starting place:
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Home
> I was able to find an HTML version of the guide using another link. I
> tried to export the Dveloper Guide as a PDF file, but kept getting
> this error. That error came from this page:
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOT/Home
>
> Does anyone have a PDF Developer Guide they can make available to me?
I would like to include the html export as part of each major release, I
agree that the PDF export is currently broken; most users work directly
with the wiki.
> Also, could someone give me a quick pointer to which classes
> in GeoToolshandle ESRI Shapefile parsing? I've been doing some work on
> a new ESRI Shapefile parser for OpenJUMP, but Paul Ramsey suggested I
> take a look at the GeoTools code for this.
It is the ShapeFileDataStore located in the plugin/shape module on trunk.
> I look forward to working with the other GeoTools developers. I ask
> for your patience as I make an effort to become a part of the GeoTools
> community and try to bring the OpenJUMP project along for the ride.
Sweet.

Cheers,