Hello GeotoolsTeam,

thanks to all of you for your fast replies. Really nice to have such an
intensive feedback! :-)

@Simone: I was not able to mail directly to your geo-solutions address,
therefore just a quick answer here:

> I also took a look at the I/O framework and rendering engine to take some
> inspiration during my journeys along the difference rendering systems.
> The question I always wanted to ask was why while you use JAI heavily you
> did not use ImageIO for I/O?
>
> I would like to bother with other questions on this line, but I think the
> best thing now is  to hel you out in with this GeoTools
> evaluation/possible adoption.

I am not yet very deeply involved in BEAM, sorry. You will receive a more
detailed answer from the BEAM project leader, Norman Fomferra, at the
beginning of next week (he is out of office for the rest of this week).

> Just out of curiosity, can you anticipate some of the questions on the
> rendering and performance issues?

@Simone/@all:
Let me summarize some of our questions and ideas which have come into our
minds so far, based on the requirements we have:

1. I am currently working on the transformation of a world map between
different coordinate reference systems. The map contains several layers,
actually one layer with geometries taken from a shapefile, one layer with
self-defined line features, and a layer  containing a grid coverage (raster
data from a jpg file (an underlying NASA Bluemarble image)). Actually, I use
a LiteRenderer (although it's deprecated) for the polygons/lines, it is
reasonable fast. On the other side, the LiteRenderer does not seem to
process the raster data, so I use a StreamingRenderer for this, which does
the job. However, it would be nicer to handle everything in one map context
with one renderer if possible - Do you have a suggestion how to go on best
with this? Regarding performance, which renderers should generally be used
for which kind of layers?

2. Our level of details shall be configurable, e.g., dependent on the zoom
level. - Are there some kind of "intelligent" rendering mechanisms so that,
in example, only every n-th point of a given geometry is considered?
(Another way would be, of course, to access one of several input sources
supplying different levels of detail.)
 Another idea we had in this context: if, e.g,  a single feature shall be
added within a small region of a large map, is there a way to update just
this small region avoiding to repaint the whole map?

3. In future, we will need to provide remote layers for querying OGC
conformant WMS, WFS, WCS. Should be no problem in general (as we saw, uDig
does that). I found this tutorial (have not yet read it in detail):
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Web+Map+Server+Tutorial
Is this the way you would actually suggest to go?

I hope there is nothing too stupid in our thoughts, we are still
beginners...

@Jody: With regard to your questions:
- Are you interested in implementations that actually exist (ie
coordinate reference system, rendering, etc...) ?
- Is access to the developer community the important part?

These two are definitely the major points. As beginners at this point, we
are, of course, mainly interested in the stuff which already exists. From
the access to your community, we hope to get useful hints and also come
quickly to a more complete understanding of the implementations we might
use. As I said, we are happy about all your quick responses, and we would
appreciate to maintain a contact on an intense level :-)

Best regards,
Olaf