We are running into big memory problems when trying to parse large GML
files containing WFS feature collections (e.g. 25000 points, about 25MB
as GML) using the following code:

public static FeatureCollection readFromInputStream(InputStream in) {
   Configuration configuration  = new WFSConfiguration();
   Parser parser = new Parser(configuration);
   try{
     FeatureCollection fc = (FeatureCollection) parser.parse( in );
     in.close();
     return fc;
   } ...
}

For this example, the used memory goes up to 800MB. After the parsing,
it goes down again to around 60MB.

Any ideas why this is, and where we should be looking for memory leaks?

Cheers,
Michael