On Feb 1, 2008 1:33 PM, Martin Desruisseaux
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Simone Giannecchini a écrit :
> > Yeah but you are referring to a specific convetion. What if I give a
> > netcdf file that does nto follow that specific convention?
> > As far as I know there are at least ) conventions. And what if I give
> > you a file that does not follow any convention at all?
>
> Then we fall in the same case than PNG. The rule is to use metadata when they
> are available (either from the file or user-supplied), and to not make any
> assumption if they are not (again if the coverage module tries to switch to
> geophysics view when there is no metadata, it would be a bug).
>

> > Moreover if you look at how OGC has standardized this, applying colors
> > shiould be guided by the usage of SLD not by the implicit applications
> > of colormaps.
>
> Implicit applications of colormaps should happen only if:
>
> - The original data are floating point values.
> - No colormap map were found in the file or provided by user.
>
> Only in such case a default colormap is created. Its only purpose is to allow
> user to see his data straight after GridCoverage2D creation time. If he never
> display his data before SLD, the RenderedOp image is never rendered so the
> cost
> should be small.
>

> > I agree that there might be perfomance issue with this approach, but I
> > don't think that OGC guyes where completely wrong :-)
>
> This is not a performance issue. A default colormap is used at GridCoverage2D
> creation time if none was specified only as a way to see the data immediately
> (and only if the user wants to see them), and anyone is free to modify it
> after
> creation with "Recolor" or whatever operation.

I meant to say there might a performance penalty in trying to apply
colormaps at a later stage using SLD with respect to creating them at
an early stage where more information about the actual data are
available like you are dsuggesting.

Simne.

>        Martin

Eng. Simone Giannecchini